Tuesday, November 16, 2010

So there's some good news and some bad news

Dax may have had a seizure today. His nurse went to wake him up from his nap to get him ready for therapy, and she noticed he felt warm. When she tried to rouse him he would not wake up and would only grind his teeth and twitch. His eyes opened but he wasn't focusing on anything. I was already almost there to take him to therapy, so I drove him straight to the local ER. THAT was a looooooong drive.

After about an hour he began looking around a bit but he still wouldn't respond to his name. He finally reached his arms out to his daddy when he leaned to pick him up, and he was finally able to sit up. As far as testing goes, his temp was 103.0 rectally (high, but not that high), sats were 94ish (a little lower than norm for his awake sats), the urinalysis was clean, the CT looked like... Dax's brain... but with nothing acute, the chest xray was normal, and the bloodwork was clean. So, it looks like we're left again with a possible febrile seizure. And this time I think that might be right.

We're home now, and Dax is a little lethargic and just a little spacey, but he's back :) Blue lips are scary, but I think looking into your child's eyes and seeing no signs of awareness is one of the scarier experiences we've had. I might just give that boy Tylenol every 6 hours until he's 12.

On a brighter note, I just HAD TO share some good news :)

Since the last update, Sweet Baby has been in and out of the hospital and has had a handful of surgeries to correct airway and GI issues. (You'll just love that, since bio mom and dad have to be kept abreast of any hospital admissions, the bio mother has asked A.) If Team Baby was keeping Sweet Baby sick so the bio parents would look bad, and, B.) What Team Baby was doing to "her" baby to make him sick. Insert your own %^*$% here.)

At any rate, bio mom and dad have not shown up for visitation with "their baby" since June and July, respectively. That, in TN, constitutes abandonment. Couple that with a couple of arrests for possession with attempt to distribute, some evictions, some felonies in some other states, some false documentation, some unfinished community service, and a handful of more nails into their parental coffins.

And then there was the hearing today. The hearing the bio parents didn't show up for. The hearing the bio parents' lawyers didn't show up for, either, since their lawyers have dropped them as clients. The hearing before the same judge who's presided over every other hearing regarding our sweet little friend. Team Baby reports the judge appeared genuinely disgusted with the bio parents and he officially removed the option of Sweet Baby returning home with his parents from the table. What does that mean? There is only one option now, and that's proceeding with adoption with his real family :) Looks like justice will prevail this time. Now we can all just count down until it's official!!!

So, I'll close with Team Baby's ongoing public service announcement:

"If your eggo is preggo, don't smoke crack." :)

Love you guys!


Anne, Eliza Grace's mom said...

I do hope Dax is OK. Your public service announcement is priceless! Glad to hear that justice prevailed today.

SpeasHill said...

Boo and yay, in that order. :) And I just have to say...."What, no Vandy?" ;)

Only the Sheppards said...

Anne, I can take no credit! Straight from Team Baby Mama's mouth :)

And Nancy, I swear if I'd been thinking clearly I would have, but I was NOT thinking super clearly ;) But it worked out in the end!

Cyndi Hendrickson said...

Wow! What an array of emotions all rolled into one entry! I hope Dax is ok! You must have been terrified to see him that way and what a relief to have him back!

And as for Sweet Baby - well, I'm about to burst with joy for her family. I can't wait to hear that it's official!

StacyBond said...

How did I miss this post? You know my feelings on Dax. Boo on sick boys. Boo.
Hooray for Sweet Baby! THAT is the way things were meant to work out. Yay!!!