Thursday, August 19, 2010

One of my favorite poems...

Life in Five Short Chapters


CHAPTER 1
I walk down the street.

There's a deep hole in the sidewalk.

And I fall in.

I am lost. I am helpless. It isn't my fault.

It takes forever to find a way out.



CHAPTER 2
I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again.

I can't believe I am in the same place.

But it isn't my fault.

It takes a long time to get out.



CHAPTER 3

I walk down the same street and there is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I see it there, and still I fall in.

It's a habit.

But my eyes are open and I know where I am.

It is my fault and I get out immediately.



CHAPTER 4

I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I walk around it.



CHAPTER 5

I walk down a different street.



By Portia Nelson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great poem. I love it!